1. According to Mark 16:16, what did Jesus have to say about the importance of baptism?
2. What does 1 Peter 3:21 tell us about baptism?
3. According to Acts 2:38, what is one purpose of baptism?
4. According to Galatians 3:27, what is another purpose of baptism?
5. According to the material presented in this lesson, which would be easier to establish —that the thief on the cross had some religious training, or that he was irreligious?
6. Explain the argument that sometimes is used by those who appeal to the case of the thief on the cross as an example of why a person can be saved without baptism.
7. If someone was to suggest that the thief on the cross had never been baptized, what would be wrong with that suggestion?
8. Give one good reason why the example of the thief on the cross not a good example to use when discussing what people today need to do to be saved?
9. What can be properly inferred from the thief’s statement to the other thief who was being crucified along with him—“We receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong”?
10. According to Matthew 3:5, who was going to John the Immerser to be baptized?
11. Under which covenant did the thief on the cross live—the Old Covenant or the New Covenant?
12. Explain the significance of your answer to question #11 above.
13. According to Colossians 2:14, when did the Old Covenant pass away?
14. According to Hebrews 9:16-18, what must happen before a testament can take effect?
15. Considering your response to question #14 above, at what point in history did the New Covenant supersede the Old Covenant?
16. According to Acts 22:16, how does one “call on the name of the Lord”?
17. What does Mark 2:10-11 tell us that Jesus had the power to do while He lived here on Earth?
18. Judging by the manner in which the word “for” is used in both Acts 2:38 and Matthew 26:28, when Peter said in Acts 2:38 that baptism is “for the remission of sins,” does that indicate that a person has already received forgiveness of sins prior to baptism, or that a person is undergoing baptism to receive forgiveness of sins?
THE GOSPEL OF CHRIST, 607 McLish Ave., Ardmore, OK 73401; (580) 223-3289; www.thegospelofchrist.com